The American Legion is a large and influential organization that advocates for the rights and well-being of veterans. Since 1919, its members, known as Legionnaires, have been working to support servicemen and women. Today, we have 2.7 million members across the country, with about 20,000 Legionnaires from the Department of Washington.

If you have served in the United States Armed Forces since December 7, 1941, and received an honorable discharge or are still on active duty, you can become a member of The American Legion, Department of Washington. This includes all current active-duty members until the end of hostilities as determined by the U.S. government.

If you were part of the U.S. Merchant Marine between December 7, 1941, and December 31, 1946 (during WWII), you are also eligible to join.

We are veterans just like you who deeply care about America, veterans, their families, and our nation’s youth. The Legion is a strong advocate in Washington, D.C., working to protect the rights and promises we earned through our service to our beloved nation.

The American Legion, Department of Washington, is always here to support you and your family, whether we are lobbying in Washington, D.C., or serving at our local American Legion Posts throughout the state of Washington. Like you, we are committed to “Still Serving America!”

Eligibility Questions

What are the eligibility dates for membership in The American Legion?

Thanks to the LEGION Act (Let Everyone Get Involved In Opportunities for National Service Act), Congress expanded the current eligibility period to cover Dec. 7, 1941, to the present, and includes the current war campaigns. Previously, there were seven declared war periods. Now there are two, the current war period dating back to World War II and another war era covering World War I. No other restrictions to American Legion membership changed.

I’m currently on active duty. Am I eligible?

Yes, you are a veteran. All current active duty military are eligible for membership.

I’m eligible for The American Legion, but do not have a copy of my DD214 to show as proof of eligibility. How can I get one?

You can go to archives.gov/veterans to request another copy of your discharge papers. A copy of orders putting you on federal active duty can be used as proof of eligibility as well.