EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR AWARDS
Grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12
The American Legion Department of Washington “Educator of the Year” Awards program serves to recognize dedicated and devoted individuals who, on a constant basis, give so much of themselves on behalf of the education of the children in the State of Washington.
This program recognizes the work performed by teachers, not only in assisting our organization with these programs but more importantly recognizing the contribution made by teachers on a day-in-day-out basis.
Just like veterans, teachers are unsung heroes of this nation who build our nation's future by working with the youth of today.
- Each Post shall select a Chairman whose responsibility will be to provide the Education Committee with a suitable and qualified nominee for the award in each of the three categories (grades K5, 6-8 and 9-12).
- All nominees for this award must be living, fulltime educators working the following year of the award, within the three established grade categories, within the State of Washington.
- Membership in The American Legion, The American Legion Auxiliary, or Sons of the American Legion shall not be a requirement or consideration in qualifying any nominees for this award.
- Entry forms provided by the Department shall be used as the sole instrument of certifying a nominee and shall not be used as a basis of accumulating points toward determining winners. Final judgment shall be made from the documenting materials appearing on the 25 pages in the album.
- Department winners shall be declared on an accumulation of total points using the following rating system:
(0 to 20 Points)
(0 to 15 Points)
(0 to 10 Points)
Letters of Recognition
(0 to 5 Points)
- Scrapbooks complete with Legion emblem (if available) and dividers will be presented to the Education Chairman for their approval.
- Scrapbooks will be three-ring binders, 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches.
- Each book shall contain dividers providing sections for material to be judged and one divider for the candidate's entry form and one side for the rating index form. A photograph of the candidate must be submitted.
- Numbered tabs (dividers) shall separate the album into sections suitable for judging.
- Deadline for certifying winners to Department Headquarters is July 1st of each year. Judging will be at the start of Dept. Convention of each year by the committee.
Rules for Department Committee
- No Department winners may be certified for consideration of Educator of the Year for successive years.
- The nomination for this Award of any member who sits on this committee shall not jeopardize that member's position on this committee. The nominee shall enjoy the same privileges and the responsibilities as all other members.
- The names of the Department winners of the Educator of the Year Award shall be announced from the podium during ceremonies at the Department Convention.
- The chairman representing the District from which the Department winners are selected shall be notified and certified at Department Convention.
- The Chairman representing the Department winners shall be prepared to provide additional biographical data, if necessary, for a suitable presentation.
- The winners of the Department Award shall be awarded a check for $500.00 to be used in their class rooms as they see fit.
- It is the responsibility of the District Chairman and Post Chairman to assure the presence of their winner at a prearranged meeting for the presentation.
- The Award will be presented before the winner’s school assembly, school board meeting and or school staff.
- The Post Chairperson will get several different dates to the Department Chairman after National Convention, to fit into the Chairman and Dept. Commanders dates.